CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday 22 February 2013

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver
Release Date: October 25, 2011
by HarperCollins
Number of Pages: 470
Series: NA

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all--looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to eb her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living te last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing. 


Wow, what an amazing, heartfelt book. 

After reading Delirium, which I liked but didn't love as much as some other people, I couldn't wait to read this one. It was more than I was expecting. It was awesome.  I actually read this one a while ago, but I'm only now getting around to writing a review because I think a book like this totally deserves a good review. So I'm going to give you it! 

I don't know what exactly it is that makes this book so amazing. Is it the characters? The plot? The friendships and relationships? I think all of it; I am astounded at the way Lauren Oliver manages to capture you in Samantha's world. I wasn't a big fan of Samantha at first--she's that one mean, popular girl who is everyone's worst nightmare, and she went around torturing people for DAYS--but I grew to really appreciate her as a character by the end of the book.  It was probably character development at its best, to be completely honest. Lauren Oliver did a lot of awesome stuff with her character, from page one. 


The idea for this book is pretty common-- in fact, it reminds me slightly of 11 Birthdays, a book I really enjoyed when I was younger. I still appreciated the idea nonetheless. I think there's always this curiosity of death, and I find I really enjoy books about the afterlife (or whatever form the afterlife is in... this book wasn't really in the afterlife, it was more like what Samantha had to go through to actually, well, die). 

I really like normal types of books-- normal teenagers, normal school life, normal boy stuff, etc. In fact, those are some of my favorite books. But when you combine something like that, with something unreal like Lauren Oliver did, the outcome is magnificent. 

4 stars for Lauren Oliver, who has really outdone herself with this marvelous book :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have this book in my TBR pile! Samantha seems to be very much like Chelsea Knot in Speechless by Hannah Harrington(which I will shamelessly recommend to you so I can have one more person to fangirl over the book with). Chelsea was one of the mean girls like Samantha and she does develop into a much better character :) This review makes me super excited to read this book now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been wanting to read Speechless for a long time. Maybe the next time I'm at the bookstore I'll look for it! :)

      Delete

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!