CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Review: Such A Rush by Jennifer Echols

Such A Rush
by Jennifer Echols
Release Date: July 10, 2012
by MTV Books
Num Pages: 336
Links: Goodreads/Purchase

A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers. 

When I was fourteen, I made a decision. If I was doomed to live in a trailer park next to an airport, I could complain about the smell of jet fuel like my mom, I could drink myself to death over the noise like everybody else, or I could learn to fly. 

For Leah Jones, reality is life in a rundown trailer park with an irresponsible mother. But there's one escape. With an after-school job at the local airstrip, she manages to afford cut-rate flight lessons. At the controls of a small plane, she leaves the trailer part far below, swooping out over the sea in the ultimate rush. 

By her senior year of high school, Leah's dreams come true: she snags a job flying for an aerial banner-advertising business. Then the owner dies suddenly, leaving everything in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she tries to stay clear of the apparently doomed business--until Grayson digs up her most damning secret. Holding it over Leah's head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. She's been drawn into a battle between brothers--and the consequences could be deadly. 


My Review:

This review deals with talking some sexual content in the book, so if you'd like to skip the parts about that I have closed them off with [[these]].

Such A Rush was definitely not what I was expecting, but I ended up really liking this book.
     This book was different from what I usually read (in a good way!). I really liked Jennifer's writing style and the way she told the story through Leah. Leah's a really complicated character and I'm not sure if I like her or not but let me just tell you, this story-line is amazing. 
    The first two pages were boring and it took me a while to get past those two pages. But after that, it went straight into the story, and I was hooked. The story didn't officially start until more than halfway through, though, and that's when I realized that I was staying up way too late for a school night but I just HAD to finish this book because it was so amazing, sexy, and powerful. 
    [[[So I think I have to say some things about the content in this book. This book is heavy, very easy and light to read but then, being a thirteen year old, there were some parts that I would have preferred not to read if you catch my drift.  I guess I'm just going to have to say it, despite it being really awkward: There IS graphic sex in this book. So, be aware of that before you read it. I don't mind sex in books as long as it doesn't go into full-out details and the characters aren't younger than sixteen or seventeen.  The first time Leah had sex she was 14, so that put me off a little, but then she was 18 the next time she did it, so that was fine with me, but it was a little intense, like I would have preferred not to hear [[[too much about that thing in Grayson's pants and too much about him putting his fingers between Leah's legs]]]. Anyway *looks away awkwardly*, this was the first book I've read with that kind of sex in it, and it wasn't all too bad (it was well written....) but I prefer just plain old kissing to hardcore sex. ]]]]
   Now that I've covered that lovely topic (thank god), I think I also have to say some things about Grayson. I have read some not-so-rave reviews about the way Grayson treated Leah. I am all for guys treating girls like they should be treated. I didn't think Grayson treated Leah all that badly. He had his reasons, and though sometimes I wanted to punch him in the face, he ended up pretty good by the end. Another thing about Grayson- I just couldn't picture him with blonde, curly hair. I kept picturing him with light brown, curly hair. 
  This book also deals with the concept of twins. I love reading about twins and have always wondered what it would be like to have a twin. Alec, Grayson's twin, is clearly the more relaxed, easygoing twin. It's Grayson that's the stress mess. :p I mean, yeah, he's pretty messed up, but you know, he's been through a lot in his life, so I'm cutting the guy a break. I thought for all he'd been through, he ended up pretty good. And Alec's relaxed manner put me off a little, I wouldn't expect someone who'd been through all that Alec had been through to be so...I don't know, relaxed I guess is the best word. 
  And then there's Leah. Her mom was 16 when she had her, and never really learned how to be a mother. You can see how her mother's attitude reflects on Leah. They're nothing alike, but Leah does seem to keep insisting on wearing slutty clothing just to make boys look at her. I didn't like that part of her, her desire to wear gross, [[[look-at-my-boobs and see how much you can see of my underwear]]] clothing, it was never really explained why she wanted to do that. Like Alec said, Leah was like two different people. There was the flirty, giggly her, and then there was the sexy pilot who was all work, no play. While Alec liked the flirty giggly version of Leah, the pilot one was WAY more kickass and way more what I wanted this book to be about. Here was a really good idea for a book and it was expressed well but I think that Jennifer could have expressed it a little more clearly. A young girl pilot? Totally my type of book!! But then there was so much hype involved around the romance and Leah's slutty clothing choices that I didn't really get the chance to focus on this awesome, kick-ass idea for a book. 
  Anyway, I really liked Such A Rush despite some blemishes along the way. I would really recommend this book, but I would say 13, or even 14 and up. I'm obviously 13 and can handle it (if I had been any younger I would have been uncomfortable...). I hate to be one of those "wait till you're older" type of people, but I seriously think this book is best fitted for mid-teens. I might try to reread it again in a few years just to see if my experience is different. Happy reading. :)

3.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Hey, nominating you for the Liebster Book Award! It'll be on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks! Sorry but I don't do awards. :( Thank you so much for nominating me, though!!

      -Annabel

      Delete

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!