CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday 5 November 2012

Review Edit: The Selection by Kiera Cass


Synopsis:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Who Recommended it to Me: No one. I was drawn to it by its cover (as usual).
Who I'd Recommend it To: A girl, probably age 12-15, who wants a YA princess book :)

So I've decided to edit this review. Why? Because after rereading it, I have some different opinions than I had the first time I read it. Not too much different; The rating still stays a good 4 stars. But some things, I see differently.

Review:

I loved it. The second time around, my opinions changed. So why did my opinions change? Well, I don't know. Now I know what you're thinking: That's a pretty crappy answer when you're about to write a review: that you don't know why. For some reason, everything just came together at the end, I got the point of the book, everything was sort of... Connected. The ends met: it was like a three-year-old struggling to tie her own shoes until finally, something just clicks and she can do it for the rest of her life. Or a third grader learning her multiplication facts. It was weird.

America and Maxon are cute in a weird way. They're not the kind of couple that I'll swoon over: "they're Oh-so-adorable" "Oh em jee I just want them to make out already". They're more like...cute in a real way. A princess like, proper way. Maxon is a little clueless about girls and that's what makes him pretty cute, in my opinion. Aspen was ok but if I had to choose one I'd pick Team Maxon. Yeah, I know a book is not about which boy she chooses, but it was a vital part of the book so I feel that I have to mention it.

So why did I love it? Well, the princess thing was relaxing to read about. Like having hot chocolate with marshmallows on a cold day, or taking a hot bath, the scent of warm water and soap blended together to make a soothing mix of scents, or the smell of your hair after you wash it with your favorite shampoo. It was fluffy in a nice way and while yes, I can say that the writing wasn't Jane Austen-esque, it was nicely written and written in a way that was believable and cute. I can be a real girly-girl sometimes and have to admit that the princess thing was what originally drew me in. I know I'll definitely be reading the next book (Yes, for its cover :p but also for how much I enjoyed this book the second time around I read it.)

America, I still am not a fan of. She's still a little annoying and her name is still a little annoying. But I can say that she did grow on me through the book. She went through her ups and downs and sometimes I wanted to punch her in the face and other times I wanted to hug her, but all in all she ended up being fairly decent. Not my favorite female heroine of all time, but definitely not as bad as I thought originally.

Well, dear Selection , I've given you a second chance and I'm glad. Because I don't like not liking books. And now, may you and I live happily ever after. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!