CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday 9 November 2012

SS #2: Insta-Love and Cliché Love

Introducing the Saturday Scoop: The Saturday Scoop is a weekly post posted here on Leopard Kitty Girl Books. Each week, I pick a new topic to write about and just rant and rave about that particular topic. Note: this week I'm doing my SS post Friday night because I have to go away this weekend. 

This Week's topic: Insta-Love and Cliché Love. 

Hello everyone! :) I hope you had a good week and that work/school didn't get you all stressed out. Anyway, let's look on the bright side-- It's the weekend and you're ready to read your weekly SS post!

This week I'm going to be talking about two different things that have been on my mind a lot lately: Insta-Love and Cliché Love. These days, you can't pick up a young adult book and not see fake, shallow insta-love and a lot of sexy British boys. I was talking to Erika on Goodreads (her blog is the awesome Living For The Books) about this today. It can be so frustrating sometimes when you pick up a book, expecting something fresh, new, and exciting, and it turns out to be just another nameless face in a library of YA books.  Yet another jaded young adult book among thousands.  Cliché love makes me sad, to tell you the truth, and here's why.

All the good ideas seemed to have been "used up". Everything that teenagers enjoy and appreciate has been snatched up by other authors, sort of like them sucking the color out of everything, or, let's make a vampire reference here, sucking the blood out of something.  And then the original product was left colorless, bloodless, bland, and flat. Where has our authors' creativity gone? Has all of it vanished, been thrown into a choppy ocean where sharp-toothed sharks (indulgent teenagers, I'm trying to be metaphoric here) will feast on them and chew them all up until they're finally all gone, and they keep getting regurgitated, and each time the ideas are regurgitated, they become weaker.

Am I confusing you yet? Please, try to bear with me here, because I feel like this idea is confusing yet it could be really interesting if I explained it well. I just feel like writers these days need serious inspiration. Onto the next topic, though, since I'll leave that one for you to think about: Insta-Love.

Insta-love is cliché, too.  It's used too much. I know the whole "love at first sight" thing is classic, but now it's starting to get out of hand. I don't think I can handle one more stupid guy and one more stupid girl looking at each other and realizing how totally in love they were, THE FIRST. FREAKING. TIME. THEY. EVER. SAW. EACH. OTHER.  I mean, I think it takes a little more than one swift glance for people to realize they're in love. I think they have to have a true conversation, get to know each other,and not just look at each other stupidly to know that they're head over heels.  Troubling, troubling, troubling. >.<

Anyway, I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across, and my mom's telling me to get off the computer, so bye! Have a fantabulous weekend.

love, love, love
Annie :)

6 comments:

  1. Well said indeed! Currently I'm reading a book with some serious Insta-love in it, and it drives me buggers!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment! and yikes-- books with insta-love these days are very annoying. :(

      Delete
  2. So true! There needs to be something new and not everything is used up. The Immortal Rules was a great vampire book and it just came out this year. But then again the book was by Julie Kagawa and she's an amazing author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I think it really depends on the book and the author.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! I used to think that love at first sight was something that was really sweet to read about and then...it infected almost the whole entire YA genre.I am also getting tired of love triangles! Why can't a girl character have a boyfriend and happily stay with that boyfriend without some other guy coming in -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammme! I used to think it was really cute and now it's so tiring :((

      Delete

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!